Friday, September 3, 2010

Who is Alyne Rodrigues?




       Seeing as how everyone loves to talk about themselves, I figured writing this blog would come easy to me. But thirty five minutes later, I have gotten as far as creating a dull title. After great procrastination and facebook stalking, I decided to buckle down and take the challenge of trying to think of five words, things or concepts that define who I am. 
       The first thing that popped into my head was the word independent. When I was seven years old my mother, brother and I moved to the United States from Brazil, automatically forcing me to put myself out there and learn the English language. Since my mother learned to speak English slower than I did, it taught me to learn to do things on my own, such as homework and school projects. Every since my twin brother and I were nine years old, my mother has always worked nights. Meaning that we had to fend for ourselves and mature much faster than most children our age. Having to learn independence from a young age made me the very goal oriented, persistent person that I am today.
       Coming from a poverty struck place in Brazil to being a successful eighteen year old at SCSU, has made me a very confident person. If I were to live in Brazil, I would not have the opportunity to go to college, or even graduate high school. Because I now live in a country filled with freedom and opportunity to succeed, I have full confidence in myself that I will one day be both successful and happy. 
       I  think that coming from a different country has also made me a very realistic and unique person. I can see that things are not just handed to you. Seeing my mother struggle in this country to provide my brother and I with food, shelter and a good education has made me appreciate the small things. I am realistic that trying to live the American dream is not as easy as it seems, and that if you want to succeed you have to go through hell and back. The bigger the success, the harder it will be to get there. Leading me to be realistic that I will struggle in SCSU with the challenges that awaits me, and if you want to succeed you have to work hard.
       Inescapable, I am a very family oriented person. The only family that I have in the United States is my mother, twin brother and a five year old brother who I have helped raise since I was fourteen. Since we only have each other, we have an indescribable bond. My mother being a single mom and only thirty seven years old, has become my biggest support system and bestfriend. When I was fifteen I began watching my little brother while my mother was at work. I loved being able to help raise my little brother and watching him grow into a toddle, and last week when he got on the bus for the first time for his first day of kindergarten, it brought tears to my eyes. My twin brother is my other half. We have been through everything together and I feel as if he is the only person who truly understands me.
     Although I feel as if describing oneself in just five different ways is a conflict on its own due to the fact that there is so much more about me to get to know, I feel as if I have chosen the five most important words that defines who I am as a person and what is  important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment