Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's your procrastination style?!


Yes, procrastination is something that as a college student, I fall guilty of. But why is that? There are three types of procrastinators; decisional, avoider and arousal. Decisional procrastinators tend to procrastinate due to the fact that they just don’t know how to make up their mind. Avoider procrastinators tend to be scared of either failure or success so they find it much easier to just avoid the situation as late as possible. Lastly is the arousal procrastinators; these are the people that specifically wait to do things in the last minute because they get hooked on the energy and thrill they get when trying to accomplish something last minute.
Now the question is, how do you change that? If you are a procrastinator and so is your best friend, chances are…you will never improve unless you force yourself to. Psychologist say to surround yourself with people who don’t procrastinate. They will motivate you to be more like them and subconsciously you will become less of a procrastinator.
From reading the motivation article I was able to learn the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is more short term motivation such as doing this blog before Saturday so I can get a short reward of getting a better grade in the INQ course. This type of motivation doesn’t last too long and it isn’t a very life changing kind of motivation. But intrinsic motivation is long term motivation that comes from within. For example, I have a motivation within myself to do well in school overall because I have a goal of one day being a successful nurse. Intrinsic motivation cannot be pushed upon you; this is a goal and motivation that only you have created. People tend to be more motivated with intrinsic motivation, than with extrinsic motivation where they are told to do something.
Being a college student I feel as if I have both extrinsic and intrinsic motivation. And when I am procrastinating I first think about my short term goal to get an assignment done, then followed by my long term goal of wanting to be a nurse, therefore pushing myself to be overall more motivated and less of a procrastinator.


Here is a fun site that I found on how to discover your procrastination style. I found it to be actually pretty fun. Once you know what kind of procrastinator you are, it gives you information on how to improve. Find out what kind of procrastination style you have and post it here!

1 comment: