Saturday, November 27, 2010

What I say goes!

At home, I am the number one babysitter.

              Since I was young I always saw myself as a leader due to the fact that I have a twin brother, I was the one to always take charge. When we were fourteen years old, my mother was in the middle of separating my step dad when she found out that she was pregnant. Being an independent person, she decided to leave him anyways and be a single mom. When my little brother Eddy was born, I automatically took a leadership role over my brother. I would clean the house, get my mom whatever she wanted, and babysat Eddy so she could rest. When eddy was only four month old my mom went back to working night shifts which left me and my twin brother home with our new born brother.
                Right away I no longer was a child, I felt like an adult because I had an adult responsibility. I organized my time to do homework and study right after school, so when my mom left for work at six o’clock, then I would have nothing else to worry about other than taking care of Eddy. I would feed Eddy dinner, play games with him, give him a bath and then give him a bottle and put him in his crib. By the end of the night I was extremely exhausted.
                Although sometimes I feel as if some of my childhood was stolen because I matured so fast, I think it has helped me in the future, especially in college. For some freshman students, this is their first time being on their own and having big responsibilities, but not for me. I would say that since coming to college, I feel a lot less responsibly than I did at home. One down fall for being a leader at a young age is that sometimes when I work in group projects, I tend to be bossy and want things my way, only because that's how it is at home. But since college I think I have gotten a lot better at working together and realizing that I am not the boss here.
                It is really weird for me to only have to worry about myself, I often catch myself being bored or missing having to do chores and put Eddy to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment