Tuesday, November 2, 2010

So you're telling me my effort isn't good enough eh?

Why do you think college students expect things to come to them so easy, and why do you think they react in such an unrealistic matter when things don’t go their way?

                I think the reason why college students expect things to come so easy to them such as good grades, is because they are still doing their work with a high school mindset. Unlike high school teachers, college professors expect a lot more out of students.

                As a high school student, I went to class, did my work, studied for my tests and passed every class with an A. I do the same exact thing in college and when I got my midterm grades I realized that surprisingly I was in the B range. I didn’t understand how that was possible because in my eyes, I did everything I was supposed to do so I should have gotten a A. This is where college is different than high school, in order to have an A in a class, you have to go above and beyond and somehow make yourself stand out and show your professor that you are unique and different and deserve a better grade than the rest. This is something that I am definitely not used to. I’ve realized that doing mediocre work just blends you in with the rest of the students.

                Luckily for me, I am a college students who understands why I got the grade I got, and I understand what I have to do to make it better. But what about the other students who let their narcissistic personality determine whether the professor is grading fairly or not? Those are the students who as children, had parents who spoiled them and told them how wonderful they were. Growing up being told everyday that you are the best, affects you as an adult. What happens when you get to college and you have a professor who criticizes you? Those are the students who do not know how to take criticism and blame the professors for their poor grade.

                Sadly there are a lot of students like that, and if they all get together and complain to an important person, they eventually get their way with grade inflation. This is something that every school does, to either make their students happy, make the professor look better, or just make their school overall look better. For example, if everyone is failing their history class because no one is used to studying as much as they should and no one is used to the work load, they are all going to go to the chair person and complain, and after enough complaints the chair person will increase everyone’s grade.

                Overall, not being used to college work, or being narcissist when it comes to what grade you should get, it all comes down to the fact that you have to work for what you have. And some understand that and just choose to work harder in school or they work hard to be bratty and eventually get their way, just like they used to do to their parents. I think its time to grow up, don't you?

1 comment: